California’s Fourth Congressional District urgently needs a local advocate in Washington that will fight for us, not a no-government extremist advancing his ideological agenda. Our moment is coming because our movement is growing, but defeating Tom McClintock will require all of us uniting behind the candidate who is best able to beat him. How do we run a primary campaign that ensures we effectively determine that candidate while maintaining unity?
I am making the following commitments to you — my friends, my neighbors, and every other constituent I am seeking to represent — to ensure that we are well-positioned to defeat McClintock in November 2020:
- I will engage in a primary process that enthusiastically promotes our ideas/ideals.
- I will run a respectful campaign that is forthright, factual, and fair.
- I will make myself available to voters who are doing their civic duty by vigorously, publicly, and fairly vetting each candidate. This includes being responsive to efforts to gather, verify, and/or share background information.
- I will build lasting power for our district by growing our party and supporting down-ballot candidates.
- I will always remember that I may have competition in the primary, but I only have one opponent: Tom McClintock.
- I want my Democratic colleagues to know that I have intentionally hired staff that supported all three leading Democrats last cycle and have specifically instructed each staffer to foster solidarity whenever possible.
- Specifically, my staff is forbidden from engaging in underhanded tactics such as whisper campaigns. We can only defeat McClintock if we unify after the primary and we will not act in a way that jeopardizes our district’s opportunity to do so.
If you ever think or feel that I or a member of my staff is not living up to any of these commitments, please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, or direct message me @frame4congress on Twitter or direct message me on the Frame4Congress Facebook page.
Candidate for U.S. Congress, California’s 4th Congressional District